Watching them grow...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My babies are 2!

On October 30th my little preemies turned 2 years old! We took them to this wonderful park called Fairy Tale Town here in Sacramento to play and have a picnic...just the 4 of us. It was PERFECT! We came home just in time for a great nap and then woke up and went to dinner with my family. Afterwards we came home for cake and presents. They girls were TOTALLY into getting new toys this year and were loving opening gifts. My mom got them a Hello Kitty backpack, new tennis shoes for school, the Little People animal sounds farm toy, newborn cabbage patch babies, new Caillou movies...I am sure I am forgetting something. My Nanny got them new crib sheets, new mattress pads, new jammies, new socks, training pants and new Magna Doodles. The girls LOVE their magna doodles and always say "I write, mommy!". Jason and I bought them their Strider Bikes for their birthday this year and my mom and dad got them their helmets and knee pads.



On Halloween we went to the downtown Marysville festival after a yummy dinner at our fave Mexican restaurant, Casa Carlos. We went with our friends Kelly, Ryan and their 11 month old, Evan. Having 3 kids out with just the 4 of us was a sort of interesting adventure. Fortunately, my mom and dad came just in time for the festival/trick or treating portion of the evening and we had all hands on deck. The girls dressed up as butterflies this year but would barely let me catch a pic of them in their costumes.



After trick or treating, we ended up in Urgent Care. The girls' cold they had been fighting quickly turned into wheezing and non-stop coughing. A little Albuterol elixir and we were on the mend again. Just in time for their big jump party on Sunday...what a marathon weekend.





At 10:30 on Sunday, we arrived at Bounce U in Roseville. This place is GENIUS! It was the best place ever for their party. We were essentially in two padded rooms with our own party host. Each room had differnt bounce equipment including big slides, little slides, jump houses, obstacle courses and a firing canon (like on American Gladiators). The girls had a BLAST despite their nagging cough and sniffly nose.

After our jump time was over we went to our party room for snacks, lemonade, cake and gifts. My friend Emili made the girls' cakes this year and did a great job! Our theme was farm animals this year for their party and they LOVED seeing all the animals on their cake and decorations.

Our friends spoiled them rotten too...they got Disney dress up clothes, my little ponies, thumbelina toys, stickers, clothes, Elmo toys and savings bonds. We couldn't just stop at the bikes either so we took them to Toys R Us and let them pick a toy....they chose stick horses. Of everything in that store, it was the only thing that kept their attention. These girls are obsessed with animals and horses.

Today was their 2 year appt...Parker only weighs 23lbs 12oz and is 31.75". She is in the bottom 5-10th percentile for size but the doc is not at all worried about it. Addisen is slightly bigger at 25lbs 0oz and 32.25" Again in the 25th percentile, the doc isn't worried. We will no longer correct for their prematurity after age 2 for size or development. She said they are FAR advanced for their age in terms of speech and cognition. She said she has several 2-3 year olds that dont speak or communicate the way the girls do...she was VERY impressed and commended us on a job well done raising preemie twins to the thriving kids we have today. Feels good to get a pat on the back from a "pro". ;)



5 comments:

KellyF said...

You'll have to let me know how they do on their strider bikes. Cam is getting one for Xmas.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica, I just found your blog and I love it! I went all the way back...I'm Esther, also a MOM, my fraternal twin boys are 14.5 months old..born at 36 weeks but just 4lb6oz and 18in.
It was so funny to read about your feelings on not being able to leave the house without people staring, pointing, asking/saying silly things and saying "double trouble"! I just recently wrote about that on my blog, too! And the fact that you can't relate too much with moms of singletons- I so hear you, Jessica. I don't think that they know what we are talking about and what it's like to take care of two kids at the same time, of the same age. It's not the same as a 3 year old and a 1 year old. It's hard...but we do it! I don't have any family around either, but it's all good..just hard and lots of work...

You got to tell me your secret to losing all that pregnancy weight! I think that I gained about 50lb (and I swear that 10lb of that was edema)...back to normal clothes for quite some time now but the tummy is not quite the same as before...although, I have not done a thing, either- so busy and tired that I just crash at night...

Anyways, just wanted to reach out to you and let you know that the girls are gorgeous, love your blog and look forward to following up with you!

Esther

Anonymous said...

Jessica, I was wondering, if you don't mind: do people (strangers) tell you that the girls are little? I hear that all the time from strangers and it's just getting really really annoying! My boys are in the 40th percentile for height, 29-30in 12 months are but are in the zero percentile for weight...they are skinny for sure and much smaller than the "typical American kiddo". Since you have some spunky attitude and speak your mouth, how do you deal with this? Provided you get these comments...maybe not with girls? Sorry if I am being too nosy...

The Bormann Family said...

Adorable lady bug cake!

Holly said...

Hi Jessica! I loved reading your blog! I'm 29 wks prego w/ boy/girl twins and I'm on bed rest so I read it start to finish. I know the road isn't going to be easy and it's nice to have someone not sugar coat things. I know I can't prepare for what our lives will be like but it's nice to see what others have gone through. Your girls are absolutely adorable and it looks like you've done a fantastic job! Thank you so much for sharing your adventure! Hopefully I will look as great as you after I have them. I know I'm way behind you so you won't learn much from me but my blog is frestontwins.blogspot.com
Thanks again!
Holly